How can we help?
How do I open multiple solutions or instances of Visual Studio for Mac?
Applications on Mac differ to those in Windows by only being limited to one instance by default. However, it is possible to open both a second (or more) instance of Visual Studio for Mac and to open a second (or more) solution inside a single Visual Studio for Mac instance.
Open a second solution inside a single instance
To open a second solution alongside your first solution, use the following steps:
- With your first solution already open, select File > Open.
- Select the solution and press the Options button.
- Uncheck the Close Current Workspace button:
- Press the Open button to open the second solution in the Solution Pad.
Alternatively, if you have recently opened the solution, you can do the following:
- Go to the File > Recent Solutions menu item:
- Hold down the Ctrl key and select the solution. This combination opens the second Solution in the Solution Pad
Open a second instance
To open a second instance of Visual Studio for Mac, open the Terminal application and enter open -n “/Applications/Visual Studio.app”