Visual Studio 2015 FAQ
How can we help?
I received the error “The specified program requires a newer version of Windows”
SymptomsYou want to install Visual Studio 2015 on a computer already having Windows 7 SP1 or newer installed but you receive an error message that the Visual Studio installer requires a newer version of Windows.
ResolutionCustomers may receive this error during a Visual Studio 2015 installation due to automatically applied compatibility settings which lower the Windows run-time incorrectly. To work around this issue, remove compatibility settings in the Visual Studio installer.
- Right-click the Visual Studio Installer icon.
- Select Properties > Compatibility tab.
- Select Change settings for all users.
- Uncheck Run this program in compatibility mode for < select your OS >
- Click Ok.
- Exit the configuration window.
- Launch the Visual Studio Installer again.